Owning a gun can elicit both a sense of pride and of responsibility. You are proud of your collection and would not want anyone to steal your valuable gun. Additionally, you have the responsibility of keeping your guns out of reach of both children and criminals. There are many options to securing your guns such as gun cabinets, gun safes, and pistol safes. While these all do what they are intended, if the burglar finds them, with enough time and equipment, he can defeat them and get your guns.
One alternative is to hide your secured guns in a hidden gun cabinet. Here are some tips and tricks:
* Several manufactures are now building hidden gun cabinets into bookshelves or curio cabinets. While they look a typical oak shelving unit, they happen to be extra deep. With the turn of a key, they release a swing out door revealing your gun collection.
* Building a false wall in the basement or garage is an often used trick to conceal a gun cabinet. A hidden catch can be pressed to have the wall swing away to reveal the cabinet built between the studs in the wall space.
* One resourceful gun owner took an old water heater, removed all of the internal components and then installed it in the basement with false pipes. When you pulled the false pipes the heater rotated on a turntable to reveal the backside that houses the opening to remove the long guns.
* Larger pieces of furniture can be used to conceal openings in the floor or even opening in the furniture itself to hide guns in.
* Another ingenious version of a pistol safe was to add a compartment to the bottom of the trashcan to store the pistols. You would have to dump out the garbage to get the guns.
Using some sneaky thinking can help hide your guns and keep them out of children’s and thieves hands.